Sunday, June 8, 2014

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

“Let the Good Times Roll”!

I recently spent a few days in New Orleans, LA for work. It was my first time to the city and although it was neat to visit, I don't feel the need to return any time soon...if ever!

This conference was for the annual American Association of Pesticide Safety Educators; Southern Region meeting. In 2011 (my first year) Tallahassee hosted, then I traveled to Biloxi, MS in 2012. In 2013 I got to visit San Antonio, TX and then of course this year I traveled solo to NOLA.

I left Monday and made the 6 hour drive in a car that was not what I’d booked several months prior. Let’s just say it was old. I took a picture but I'm not sure I should share here since it's plastered with the state logo but here's one courtesy of Google images. One sexy beast huh? That's a 2005 Ford Taurus.

“You think you hate it now, wait 'til you drive it.”

Name that movie.

Not to be a snob but I was happy to be back in my Jeep at the end of the week. Especially since the car was equipped with nothing more than a cassette player. At least it had cruise control...

I digress! I made it to the hotel and thankfully I didn't have to ask for directions because it was sketchy and that was at 3:00 in the afternoon! All I could think about was the scene from National Lampoon's where the Griswolds get lost in the hood and need to ask for directions.

"I'm from the West side of Chicago, here on vacation"!

The hotel was called the Maison Dupuy and was on Toulouse Street, a block over from Bourbon street to give you an idea of its prime location.header-home-slide2_thumb

via

IMG_5576_thumb

The meeting spanned over two days but in the evenings I got to venture out with some folks from other states attending the conference. I love meeting with this group because they're a lot of fun and we've become friends over the past couple of years. They work hard and love their jobs but know how to have a good time too. I was nervous to venture out alone but eager to explore so I was thankful to have them!

IMG_5583_thumb2IMG_5585_thumb1 IMG_5587_thumb2

That street sign says Bourbon, covered in beads!

IMG_5634_thumb2 IMG_5586_thumb2IMG_5589_thumb2

Dinner on the first night was at Acme Oyster House. The oysters were fabulous but the gumbo, not as much. It was good but didn’t blow my socks off!

IMG_5591_thumb3IMG_5594_thumb2IMG_5602_thumb1 IMG_5605_thumb1IMG_5628_thumb7 IMG_5746_thumb10

This bird hangs out next to the sidewalk completely unattended just chilling behind his cage door. He whistles and talks and does tricks! So cool.

IMG_5619_thumb IMG_5620_thumb

Good hair day requires documentation.

IMG_5650_thumbIMG_5683_thumb1IMG_5639_thumb2IMG_5642_thumb1IMG_5657_thumb1

All pictures taken on the iPhone 5. Several with the Pro HDR app.

IMG_5651_thumbIMG_5658_thumb1

Dinner spot.

IMG_5661_thumb1

I have to say, I was unimpressed with the food. Although it was good, it wasn’t what I was expecting. It was also very expensive. Most po’ boys were around $15-$18 by themselves, no sides. Way too much for not enough deliciousness!

IMG_5662_thumb1IMG_5665_thumb1

Jackson Square

We did a good bit of roaming the city when we weren't meeting. So many colorful houses and fun things to see! Except for the things that scarred my eyes. Like gross people and less than clean exteriors of gentleman clubs...

My only non-work related goal for the trip was to eat beignets at Café du Monde. I saw the restaurant featured once on Food Network so I really wanted to go. What do you know, yesterday (three days after I was there) I see on Instagram that Giuliana Rancic paid them a visit! Sad I missed her, I would have loved to see a celebrity! Any who the beignets were delish and I'd recommend wearing a white shirt. It helps hide the mess of powdered sugar that's bound to spray everywhere!

IMG_5595_thumbIMG_5596_thumb1IMG_5598_thumb1IMG_5600_thumb1

On the last day of the meeting we got to go on a tour of the French Market area of the city, led by an employee of the New Orleans Rodent Control. We walked the city learning about restaurants having been shut down due to infestation, how to spot rat holes, where you should and most definitely should not eat, as well as a lot of other interesting facts about the challenge of controlling the rodent population in NOLA.

A few things-

1) Mr. Rodent Control told us that twice he has seen a pair of rats take down a pigeon and drag it into their rat hole to feed on.

2) He also told us the rats are about 8-12" long, not including their tail! Crazy!

3) I desperately wanted to see one of these giant rats.

The tour was informative and I learned a lot. Mr. Rodent Control guaranteed that we'd get to see a rat. Sadly, it didn't happen. I was rather bummed but what can ya do...I wanted to see some dang rats!

IMG_5701_thumb2 IMG_5703_thumb2

Tour outfit.

IMG_5706_thumb1 IMG_5709_thumb1IMG_5707_thumb1

We don’t look like tourists or anything…

IMG_5710_thumb1IMG_5714_thumb1

Rat access!

IMG_5719_thumb1

Rat housing!

IMG_5725_thumb1

Some of the girls. Florida, North Carolina, Virginia x 2, Arkansas.

IMG_5715_thumbIMG_5718_thumb

Down by the wharf.

IMG_5727_thumb1

Safety first.

IMG_5729_thumb1IMG_5733_thumb3

See those trails? Those are rat runs! I know, so cool.

IMG_5739_thumb IMG_5734_thumb1IMG_5735_thumb1

French Market

IMG_5738_thumb1

This was hands down the best pina colada I’ve ever had. OMG YUM.

I got a really cute souvenir shirt and picked up David a nice one as well. He loved it so I got an A+.

IMG_5748_thumb1 IMG_5749_thumb1

unnamed-1_thumb1 unnamed-2_thumb1

Until next time (or never again?) NOLA!





















































1 comment:

  1. I completely agree - NOLA is interesting, but I'd be perfectly okay with never going back again. Glad you had a good trip!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...