Monday, March 4, 2013

Write it Down

I jumped on the chalkboard wagon a long time ago.

Something I’ve always wanted to do though is to put a chalkboard in my pantry. Well, seeing as I haven’t had a pantry in my last two houses, I couldn’t really make that one happen.

But now, having a pantry and all, it was on like Donkey Kong!

TLG_4647

I forgot that I had wanted to do this until yesterday when I was digging around for a piece of paper to write down a grocery list. And it hit me.

I had chalkboard paint in the garage, a foam brush, and a blank slate.

TLG_4566

Organizing the pantry is obviously still on my to-do list.

David was at Lowe’s so I called him and told him my plan.

He was not thrilled. At all really. In fact he told me “no, this is something I really don’t want you to do – what about one day if we were to sell the house? Nobody wants a chalkboard painted on their pantry door”.

I said, actually that’s exactly what people want! It’s so cool!

He did his eye roll over the phone and I won the battle. I told him it can always be repainted.

Within 5 seconds of hanging up I was gathering my supplies. I didn’t tape edges since I had just planned to be careful and it was a raised edge anyway.

The first coat took about 5 minutes, I waited until it was dry then put on the second.

Time = 10 minutes

Cost = Zero Dollars

Functionality = Priceless!

TLG_4569

I love it.

[TLG_3599%255B13%255D.jpg]

And the bow on top is from the back of my wreath on the front of the door. It decorates the board perfectly!

TLG_4645

After 24 hours of waiting (the worst part of any project if you ask me!) I seasoned the board. Do this by rubbing a piece of chalk on its side all over. Be generous. Then wipe with a  clean wet/damp rag and you’re in business!

TLG_4648

I’ll be keeping my eye out for a cool cupped drawer pull that I want to mount upside down inside the pantry to hold chalk.

via

Who thinks of these awesome ideas?!

Because I love them!

Sidenote: I haven’t had a good record with chalkboard paint that has to be brush applied, but for this project, it worked great! I’m really pleased!

1 comment:

  1. What a super cute {and easy} project! It looks great...love your kitchen too! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...