Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Killer Black and White Photos

I’ve loved black and white photos for a long time. They’re so classic, timeless, and striking that I can’t get enough. It’s no surprise then that there’s usually always a handful of black and whites from each shoot I do.
I’m just sitting around thinking about getting some pictures printed soon and decided I wanted to share my concoction for the perfect (in my opinion) black and white photo “action”. Two words: Pioneer Woman.
TLG_43144
If you don’t have both sets of the Pioneer Woman’s photoshop actions, what are you waiting for?! Get them from Ree here!
So, the How To based on my little-bit-of-photoshop-knowledge using my sweet friend Chelsy's daughter Abbi as my model:
TLG_4314
My starting picture is Straight Out of the Camera or SOOC.
image
In Photoshop Elements 9, I go to Enhance>Adjust Lighting>Brightness/Contrast.
image
Bump up the Brightness until it’s lightened everything up but not blown it out. Mine is at 42 in this case.
image
Now, click the Pioneer Action “Boost”.
image
After Boost application.
image
Then, click the “Sharpen This” action. I run the circle over the eyes to sharpen and then bump the opacity (on the right) down to usually around 60% so the eyes don’t look so glassy.
image
Then I hit the “Flatten” action which will flatten all the layers and allow me to apply the black and white action.
image
Then hit the “BW Beauty” action.
image
Then I go back to Enhance>Adjust Lighting>Brightness/Contrast. If I want my blacks darker and my whites lighter, I’ll bump up the contrast.
image
image
In this case, Abbi is a little blown out so I bumped down the Brightness and bumped up the contrast until I got the look I wanted.
And that’s it!
TLG_4314
TLG_43142
Now, for your viewing pleasure, here’s some more killer black and whites…Shout out to Chelsy, Erin, Brittney, Jessica & Samantha for making such cute babies and for letting me photograph them! (Several are repeats)
DSC_0152
TLG_89001
TLG_08132
1277_2-3-2
TLG_5683
TLG_9979 copy
TLG_1425 copy
TLG_90841
TLG_04312
TLG_08122
TLG_4037 copy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...