Thursday, March 10, 2011

Boston–Day 6

The last full day of our trip was the most perfect morning yet. I woke up to David and Chloe telling me it was snowing! Now up until this point we’d seen lots of “old snow/hard snow”, but this was the first time seeing the fresh powdery goodness falling from the sky! We were absolutely ecstatic. We (David!) even managed to lock us out of the house after we all ran out in our pajamas to play in it. It was absolutely the coolest experience. It was so neat to just sit and watch it. It didn’t make any noise, but just watching it fall and blanket everything made me feel very calm. It was truly magical. We played in it a little bit and took lots of pictures.


It was so neat to see actual snowflakes on my jacket.

{Click to enlarge pictures}


{Chloe & I}


Since David locked us out, we made him go knock on Cody and Laura’s window to wake them up.

Everybody moseyed around, showered, ate breakfast and then got ready for the day. This had to have been the coldest day yet. I mean it was snowing right? Which also meant the sun wasn’t shining and it was just plain blistery. But we braved the cold anyway.

DSC_0793 DSC_0794

{Silly Lucy!}

We loaded up and drove to the US Coast Guard where we parked for free for the day. I debated wearing my North Face and Pea Coat, but I ended putting them both on and was SO glad that I did, because I was still freezing.

We quickly realized it was going to be a cold miserable day of walking around. But we persisted!


Would have been cute if it wasn’t blurry :/


{Check out all that snow!}

We visited all sorts of historical places, including the Paul Revere house.

DSC_0807 DSC_0808

At this point the snow was still falling and it was just so, so cold. We continued to see Boston and eventually decided it was time for our planned stop at Mike’s Pastry.

DSC_0814 DSC_0817

The desserts was why we went, but the warmth was welcomed too! I had a huge delicious yellow cream cannoli.


Chloe & Dave had some sort of frappucino cannoli.


And Laura & Cody got the monster of the desserts, the Lobstertail. Oh my, that one was a giant crescent roll completely filled with the delicious white fluffy cream. Yum!


After our snacks, we headed towards Fanuel Hall. It is basically the longest hallway ever with food places lining both sides. Heaven! The smell was amazing. We planned to eat a lobster roll there, as that was the one thing my Dad told me I had to eat for him. Well, we literally just left Mike’s and no one was remotely ready to eat again. So we walked through, I snapped a few pics, and we moved along. Sad!

DSC_0835 DSC_0836

{Fanuel Hall, Lobster Rolls}

We continued to do lots of walking around and eventually were ready for lunch.

DSC_0829 DSC_0832

We ate at a brewery right by Harvard University called John Harvard’s Brew House.


After a VERY long complicated lunch, we spotted another pastry shop called Sweet. And boy was it! The shop itself was so cute and we just had to go in for an afternoon snack.

DSC_0860 DSC_0862DSC_0865

I had a miniature cupcake and Laura & Cody had a red velvet cupcake. Both were delicious!

DSC_0867 DSC_0868

After our third eating stop of the day, we walked through Harvard University. It was neat and very pretty as all the old beautiful buildings had a fresh coating of snow.

DSC_0870 DSC_0871DSC_0879

{The cool kids attending Harvard}

Oh and I forgot to mention, we did a lot of walking, but we also rode the Subway in Boston, aka the “Charlie”. Hence the Charlie ticket! The Charlie was much nicer than the NYC Subways.


By this time it was getting to be late afternoon, we mostly saw what we wanted to see, and everyone was miserably cold. We decided to head back to the house and make it a fun/cozy/stay in evening.

On the short thirty minute drive home we stopped once for David who had to uh, relieve himself. And then we stopped again at a rest stop for Cody and Chloe. Laura and I felt like we were traveling with a bunch of Grandma Bladders! (No offense to both of my GMas)


{Oh David, lol}

On this trip I learned about a new game called Monopoly Deal. I have since bought it since I got home! We played it a few of the nights we were there, but the last night we played it several times. It is basically Monopoly, but it’s with cards only, and it’s much quicker than a typical game of Monopoly. We played and played and ate and enjoyed the fire and had such a good night.

DSC_0885 DSC_0886DSC_0887 DSC_0888DSC_0892 DSC_0895


Oh! I also tried sweet potato fries for the first time. I was very, VERY skeptical but I ate one, and another, and another! I am now hooked :)

The next morning we got up and packed and Laura took us to the airport because she is a teacher and was on Winter Break and Cody had to be back at work. We had the most wonderful time with them and I already can’t wait to go back!

For some reason I was really nervous the whole time on our flights home. For one, we had a one-stop flight instead of non-stop, so that meant double the landings and take-offs. I don’t dislike flying, and it is kind of fun, but it still makes me more nervous than relaxed. Our first flight home was a little bumpy, the plane kept speeding up and slowing down trying to make up time because we had a delay leaving (even the flight attendant said, “That Boy (the pilot) is trying to make up some TIME!!”), and I was just super jumpy the whole time. The second flight was much better, but I was very glad to be on the ground in Tampa. We got in around 6:30, but wouldn’t be back to David’s where my car was until around 7:15 or so, so I decided to stay the night with David and Chloe and get an early start.

Right after we got back to David’s, I got a text saying Renee (one of my besties) was having her daughter Savannah that night! She was not due for another month or so, and even so, she already had a scheduled C-section (being her first had to come via C-sec) for March 8th. So I was shocked! Renee’s momma kept me updated, but I was so excited and couldn’t wait to get home! Congratulations again you two!!

I got up at 4 the next morning and drove home. I was off Wednesday so I used it to unpack, visit The Dawkins in the hospital and spend some much needed time with my Hubby and pup, who I missed SO much!


Hope you enjoyed the recap :)

Miss any days? Check them out here:

Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...