Monday, August 27, 2012

Couch to 5K Update

Well well well, would ya look at that. I haven’t quit yet.

It’s amazing! It’s crazy! It feels great to have reached my goal weight of 115 pounds!!

Untitled-3 copy

Except for that’s not really me, just my face, and I’ve only managed to gain weight. Save the “you’re gaining muscle” blah blah blah. Bottom line is, I seem to be getting’ fatter from working harder.


I’m 6 weeks/2 days in to Couch to 5K. Tomorrow should technically be Week 7/Day 1, but instead it will be Week 6/Day 3 again.


For the very first time since I started the program, I couldn’t finish yesterday’s run.

I usually do it either early AM or early evening. However, yesterday I wanted to go somewhere with really flat ground since my 25 min straight run on the agenda would be a doozy. I didn’t want to make it any harder than it was. So we went to Lincoln’s track right down the road, at 5:00 in the afternoon, after we got done running some other errands.

Big mistake.

Even though we had nice weather this weekend, it was still in the low 90s. AKA hottttt.

I got warmed up and then started. Right away I knew it was gonna be hard to finish. I was struggling. It was just so darn hot and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. The turf (is that what you call the track rubber?) was baking and I was the cookie on top. Slowly melting away and spreading into a thin layer on the rack.

In this case, the rack was a cool bleacher in the shade only 20 minutes in. I only had FIVE minutes left. And I I wanted to, so bad, but I was on the verge of passing out and throwing up simultaneously when I launched myself onto the bleacher. Face down. Wondering why I don’t live somewhere that it’s cooler!

David stopped running earlier than me and resorted to sprints in the shade. When he saw me keeled over on the bench he dragged me over to the bathrooms and made me stick my face in the faucet. I sat there leaning against the cinderblocks and started crying.

I’d come this far and my biggest “claim to fame” yet with the program was that I haven’t had to “quit” yet. On any of the other days. Even the first time there was a 20 minute run, I did it with no breaks.

But today my body physically wouldn’t let me keep going. I wanted to walk the rest of the 5 minutes to at least finish, but Mr. Oh No You’re Not wouldn’t let me. So I sulked the whole way to the car, disappointed in myself.

David kept saying I did so good and I needed to be proud, but just knowing I only had FIVE MORE MINUTES left was killing me. By no means was this the last day of the last week, but I’ve only got three weeks left and I thought I’d be able to do the whole thing, “uninterrupted”.


So, tomorrow, it’s a re-do of yesterday. I will be doing it first thing in the AM before Mr. Sun comes up to try and take me down.

Let’s hope it goes better!

Original unaltered photo found here.


  1. Do not beat yourself up! You've gone further than so many people. Be proud that you ran for 20 minutes in the crazy heat. I know from my experience, especially with the Couch 2 5K, that as soon as you let yourself get discouraged it gets that much harder. Reset your mind today, tell yourself you can and will do it and then just go. And if you don't - no biggie, there's always another day. What sets you apart will be not giving up.

    I know you can do it!!

  2. You're at where we left off. I want to try again. I did my first hot yoga class last week, omgosh!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...