Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pottery Barn Santa Claus Knock Off

Katie Bower over at Bower Power Blog is one of my favorites. She’s hilarious and inappropriate and reminds me a lot of myself. Oh and she’s crafty, and a photographer. We’re a match made in BFF virtual heaven.

Last year she made this awesome project. I loved it but didn’t ever get around to doing it. Well this year, I made it happen and I’m in love!

Basically she wanted to knock off this $150 Pottery Barn Santa picture.

You can see Katie’s tutorial here, which I followed to a ‘T’. Except I used a 20x20” canvas from Hobby Lobby instead of plywood.

It took me about three hours total non-stop, but it was so worth it. I definitely want to make something similar in it to have on display year round.

TLG_6197

Prepping.

TLG_6198 TLG_6199 

Grid drawn.

TLG_6200

All sketched out. I was seriously doubting a happy outcome at this point. I mean just look at that thing.

TLG_6202

Ta-da!!!

TLG_6204

TLG_6205

He looks weird here. Old marker + new marker = different shiny spots depending on the angle. Oh well. Not too bad if I do say so myself!

Total cost = $9 for canvas + $5 for markers = $14.

One more time for comparison:

PB Santa TLG_6204

Saving $136? Don’t mind if I do!

1 comment:

  1. I spent my Sunday doing the same thing! I was totally worried too when I 1st drew it that it was going to look way weird. I guess that's where filling it in pays off.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...