Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mirror Face Lift

As I mentioned in a previous post, I planned to paint my foyer mirror frame white. Well I did, and I LOVE it! Here's some shots along the way:

And here’s the after:

I am just loving all things white these days. It brightens things up and I’m afraid that although I want my house to have a warm cozy feel, I think things were getting a little too dark so this was a subtle way to lighten things up a bit.

It was very easy and inexpensive to do. I bought Rust-o-leum Satin outdoor spray paint in white.

Oh and may I highly recommend one of these little beauties? This spray handle was 2 or 3 bucks at wal mart and was sooo worth it. It’s on the same aisle as the spray paint. You get no paint on your finger and no sore finger when you’re done. I’ll never spray paint without one again!

I covered the mirror part with paper & tape. This is where I messed up. For some reason I wasn’t thinking about the best way to cover it, and I tried to butt up the paper to the inside edges and put tape on the back. Dumb idea because the paper wasn’t completely flat and I still needed to paint the inside edge after I took the paper off. Had a non-light bulb moment for sure. If I was thinking straight I would have taped the inner edge and then papered the center of the mirror. So that’s what I did next & it worked MUCH better. Oh well, I’ll know for next time. The paint I did get on the mirror came off very easily with acetone which made for a quick clean up. I didn’t prime or sand the frame although each would have probably been fine to do & made it turn out even better. But my way was quick & easy and if you’re lazy and impatient like me, that’s the best route! I just spray painted a coat of white, let site for about 15 minutes, then did a second coat. I let it dry real good for a few days and then hung it.

2 comments:

  1. I love white....Its the perfect touch to any room!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I agree - when in doubt, paint it white! :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...